Bosco Ntaganda says he is “ready to die”

The former Congolese rebel Bosco Ntaganda participated in hearings on Tuesday via a video-link from the ICC’s detention unit after a medical report Tuesday morning concluded he was not well enough to be transported to the courtroom.

photo (rfi)
photo (rfi)

 He started a hunger strike last week to protest the conditions of his detention at the International Criminal Court (ICC) told judges on Tuesday he is “ready to die”. Restrictions on his phone calls and visitation rights which have been in place since 2014 due to concerns he was trying to interfere with witnesses, are the cause of this hunger strike.

Bosco Ntaganda faces 18 counts of charges. During the trial, which is expected to last several months, the former warlord, now aged 41, will be tried for the crimes committed between 2002 and 2003 in the province of Ituri by the Patriotic Forces for the liberation of Congo (FPLC), of which he was the military leader.

Ntaganda faces five counts of crimes against humanity, including rape and sexual slavery. He is accused of having himself raped and reduced to sexual slavery of girls under 15 years.

It will also be tried for thirteen 13 counts of war crimes. These expenses are those of murder and attempted murder, attacks against civilians, displacement of civilian populations or of enlisting and using child soldiers under fifteen years.

 

 

Thank you for reading our stories!

Besides news and trends, Regionweek is a media created to serve African young professionals with information that they can put to work in their daily life. Would you like making money with a side hustle business that you can build in your spare time? Today you can learn how to earn extra money and grow meaningful businesses. Check ressources on:

1.Business Ideas - 2.Online Business- 3.How to make money

Post Comment