Police in Las Vegas have reopened a criminal investigation at the request of a woman who has alleged in a civil suit that global football star Cristiano Ronaldo sexually assaulted her in 2009.
Last week, an attorney filed a complaint in Clark County District Court alleging that Ronaldo assaulted his client, Kathryn Mayorga, in a Las Vegas hotel room on June 13, 2009.
The suit says Mayorga asked police last month to reopen a criminal case from that day. Las Vegas police, while not mentioning Ronaldo, confirmed to The Associated Press and USA Today that the reopened case was brought by the woman named in the lawsuit.
Police said Monday they responded to a sexual assault call on the date Mayorga is alleging in her civil suit but said the victim “did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description” at the time, though a medical exam was conducted.
“As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided by the victim,” a police statement said. “This is an ongoing investigation and no further details will be released at this time.”
Ronaldo, the Juventus forward who is among the world’s most famous athletes, dismissed the claims over the weekend as “fake, fake news.”On Monday, it was asserted that there is the sincerity of the cases.
“Ms. Mayorga’s filed complaint, the physical evidence of her sexual assault, answers to written questions regarding the sexual assault attributed to Cristiano Ronaldo, the communications and conduct of the ‘team’ representing Cristiano Ronaldo, the circumstances surrounding the purported agreement for settlement and non disclosure, and the psychological injuries suffered by Ms. Mayorga are not ‘fake news,'” reports the Independent.
“Ms. Mayorga’s August 2018 decision to contact the police and participate in the criminal investigation of the June 13, 2009, sexual assault, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s current investigation of the June 13, 2009, sexual assault of Ms. Mayorga, and the existence of Nevada Revised Statute 171.083 removing the time limits for criminal prosecution of a sexual assault in the State of Nevada, are not ‘fake news.'”
Twiiter users were baffled about the reopening of this case, thus it is said that they ‘exploded’ in a literal way over this case involonving the super football star.
The news has taken the media by storm and fans are now having a say on the matter. One twitter user wrote on twitter:
“The rape allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo should be the biggest story in the football journalism community currently. The fact that it isn’t even close to the top, the fact that only a thin sliver of outlets are covering it, speaks volumes about our media landscape”.
Thank you for reading our stories!
Besides news and trends, Regionweek is a media created to serve African young professionals with information that they can put to work in their daily life. Would you like making money with a side hustle business that you can build in your spare time? Today you can learn how to earn extra money and grow meaningful businesses. Check ressources on: