FIFA wants 24 teams for the Club World Cup in 2021

FIFA Council members are asked to approve a pilot tournament for an expanded 24-team Club World Cup in June-July 2021 featuring eight European participants.

A FIFA 17-page report distributed to the 37 members of FIFA’s ruling body calls for the new tournament to take place between June 17 and July 4, 2021.
The FIFA Council are asked to approve a trial 24-team Club World Cup.That is the slot previously reserved for the Confederations Cup international tournament, which serves as a test event in a host nation a year before the 2022 WORLD CUP.
The new tournament is the result of a working group created by FIFA following opposition to an earlier proposal presented at a meeting last year in Bogota.
The document said five of the six regional confederations were in favor of the proposal being tabled at Friday’s FIFA Council meeting in Miami.
UEFA governing body opposes the issue
European governing body UEFA, which accuses FIFA of a lack of consultation and transparency over the issue, has opposed the vote citing scheduling problems.
Under the proposal, UEFA, which had initially sought 12 teams in the tournament, will have only eight slots.
“The principal objection of UEFA was related to their concerns on the calendar,” the FIFA document notes. “UEFA’s position was that any technical discussion on a new format and calendar for the FIFA Club World Cup could only take place once a new post-2024 coordinated international calendar had been agreed.”
According to FIFA, European officials argue that the Club World Cup would cause “foreseeable tensions with its clubs” because of the lengthy period of matches after the regular season.
How teams will be qualified for the tournament
South America will have six qualified clubs, while Africa, Asia, North, and Central America will each have three teams. One team will represent the Oceania region.
Qualification for the event would be at the discretion of the various confederations.
The tournament would start with eight groups of three, with the winners advancing to the quarterfinals. Teams would play two to five matches over a maximum of 18 days.
FIFA’s document doesn’t mention the funding for the new tournament
The FIFA document makes no mention of the funding for the new club tournament, stating only that the event will represent a “new source of revenue to reinvest in the game globally”, with cash generated staying “within football” and not going to “third parties”.
Plans for a worldwide Nations League have stalled after the governing body’s task force reported that it was unable to find consensus on a format for the potential money-spinner.
The task force said they had looked at various models for a Nations League competition, which is based on UEFA’s new tournament.
The original idea was for a worldwide qualifying system, based on regional confederations, with a ‘Final Eight’ tournament every two years to find the winner.
Instead of putting a plan to a vote in Miami on Friday, the report said the task force had concluded that more work needed to be done in the next few months “before it will be able to come to conclusions and potentially make concrete proposals to the FIFA Council.”

Thank you for reading our stories!

Besides news and trends, Regionweek is a media created to serve African young professionals with information that they can put to work in their daily life. Would you like making money with a side hustle business that you can build in your spare time? Today you can learn how to earn extra money and grow meaningful businesses. Check ressources on:

1.Business Ideas - 2.Online Business- 3.How to make money

Post Comment