Kagame tells new MPs : ‘Protect Rwanda’s sovereignty’

Rwanda’s president Paul Kagame told new legislators who were sworn-in on Wednesday, to hold government more accountable, warning that corruption and divisive politics would not be tolerated.

Paul Kagame said: ‘‘If you can only account for 25% of the resources you are responsible for, we will ask you about the other 75%,’‘, reads African news.

The president who was officiating the swearing-in ceremony of new members of parliament, elected to serve a five-year term asked the lawmakers to ‘remain close to the citizens’ and ‘deliver on the promises’ made during campaigns’.

Kagame went on: “In Rwanda, it is not pressure we respond to, it is our own thoughts. Where this country comes from has taught us that we must refuse to be a submissive people”.

The 80 members of parliament include persons drawn from special interest groups like women, youth and people with disabilities.

In his speech, Kagame made reference to the ‘new legislators and new parties’ in parliament, given the fact that for the first time, the opposition Democratic Green Party (DGP) won seats in the house.

The president was however quick to add that he expected cooperation and harmony.

‘‘We want thoughts and ideas that bring us forward. And we will not be afraid to tell you that we have no room for those that take us backward,’‘ Kagame said.

Thank you for reading our stories!

Besides news and trends, Regionweek is a media created to serve African young professionals with information that they can put to work in their daily life. Would you like making money with a side hustle business that you can build in your spare time? Today you can learn how to earn extra money and grow meaningful businesses. Check ressources on:

1.Business Ideas - 2.Online Business- 3.How to make money

Post Comment