At least fifteen people have been killed and 700 others were rescued as gunmen from terrorist group Al Shabaab blasted their way into an office complex at 14 Riverside, a suburb in Nairobi, Kenya.
Terrorists aligned with Al-Shabab — the Somalia-based terrorist network with ties to al-Qaida — attacked the complex with car bombs and gunfire. Somali militant group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for a deadly attack at a Nairobi hotel complex
According to local media reports, the shots rang out at around 3:30 a.m. local time as a group of around 150 workers was escorted from a building where they had sought refuge.
Many more remained inside and some needed first aid for gunshot wounds, a first responder told Reuters.
Among the 15 killed in this terrorist attack include one British and one American. Identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyan, one was American and one was British, he said. The other two were not carrying documents.
VIDEO: Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said that all Islamists who had stormed an upmarket hotel complex had been "eliminated" after an almost 20-hour siege that left at least 14 dead pic.twitter.com/D3ossvuqqT
— AFP news agency (@AFP) January 16, 2019
A U.S. State Department official confirmed one of the victims was American. “We can confirm that a U.S. citizen was killed in the attack,” the official said without giving further details.
Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta later said in an address to the country that the attack was over.
Kenya’s president has said that a siege at a hotel complex in Nairobi has ended and that those responsible for the attack have been “eliminated”.
“I can now confirm that… the security operation at Dusit is over and all terrorists have been eliminated,” Uhuru Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation.
The AU Commission condemns the attack.
The African Union Commission has condemned the Riverside attack and urged Kenyans to support each other in these times of grief.
AU Chairman Moussa Faki Mahamat expressed his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and further termed the attack as cowardly.
Mahamat pointed out that this tragic attack will only serve as a catalyst to renew the fight against terrorism in Africa.
He said: “The attack underlines the imperative for renewed and reinvigorated efforts to combat terrorism throughout the continent”.
The Burundi President has sent his condolences to all Kenyans via Twitter.
It is with dismay that I learned of the despicable terrorist attack in Nairobi that claimed lives of innocent people. On behalf of the People of Burundi, I wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to President Uhuru Kenyatta, to Kenyans, and above all to the bereaved families.
— Pierre Nkurunziza (@pnkurunziza) January 16, 2019
Kenya has often been targeted by al Shabaab, who killed 67 people at the Westgate shopping center in 2013 and nearly 150 students at Garissa University in 2015. Al Shabaab says its attacks are revenge for Kenyan troops stationed inside Somalia.
Thank you for reading our stories!
Besides news and trends, Regionweek is a media created to serve African young professionals with information that they can put to work in their daily life. Would you like making money with a side hustle business that you can build in your spare time? Today you can learn how to earn extra money and grow meaningful businesses. Check ressources on: